Monday, October 03, 2005

binding the body frees one's soul


This is picture of my work.

I love rope.

I have studied Shibari - which loosely means "to tie" in Japanese. I have spent over 7 months in Japan and this "nawa" (rope) came from Tokyo - purchased by me from some giggling ladies at a bondage specialty shop in Roppongi. It is the real thing, Japanese hemp, treated to be supple by boiling and oiling. It smells wonderful, like pine tar (from the bayu oil) and has just enough "bite" to make the captive acutely aware of its presence. There is a wonderful saying in Japanese lore which goes something like binding the body frees one's soul. I couldn't agree more.

I haven't touched my nawa for months. I have been drawn much more towards my synthetic rope. And in all honesty, synthetic rope works much better and is easier to use...but it doesn't have the aesthetic beauty that real nawa does.

But another strange problem is that I don't have enough! I have thousands of feet of synthetic rope and only 120' of the real thing. I guess there are worse problems to have... ;)

BTW, that is my boy in the photo. In a moment of unbridled cruelty, I undid his wrists and made him take it all off himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home